I am always on the hunt for tasty, easy to make, healthy breakfast ideas. My usual am meal of toast + eggs can start to get a little b o r i n g.
I’ve made baked oatmeal before, last year actually, and I was pretty turned off by the recipe I had used. It was a flavoured oatmeal and apparently that’s not the way to go for me. This delicious and hearty recipe is perfect for the unadventurous (I’ll blame the pregnancy for my tepid morning appetite), however, it can be topped with all kinds of delicious pairings to your heart’s delight.
Even my little M-Bear loved it (but he’s an oatmeal kid through & through). We ate ours warm out of the oven with a side of fresh fruit.
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup of brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 coconut oil, melted
- 3 cups of old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 tsp real vanilla extract
- 1/2 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup of milk (we used full fat milk, but almond, soy, etc would work fine)
- In a medium-sized bowl, beat the eggs, then add in everything else. Mix well (it almost seems a little soupy, but this is normal).
- Grease an 8 x 11 baking dish, and pour the mixture in.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes** in a 350° oven.
- Remove when done baking and let stand for 5 minutes. Enjoy 🙂
**I prefer my oatmeal a little more cooked through, closer to a chewy, soft granola bar texture. So I baked mine for about 25 minutes, but kept testing after 20. This is a flexible recipe, so don’t worry about cooking a little more or less to your liking.