I enjoy a good veggie burger every now and then, and since we do meatless meals a few times a week, I thought making some sort of lentil burger sounded fun. I have just recently started cooking with lentils and I’m kind of loving them 🙂
Last night I made sweet potato and red lentil burgers, kind of adding things as I went, and they turned out to be quite delicious… even my 2 year old ate one, which means this recipe was a home run lol.
Sweet Potato + Lentil Burgers (Vegan)
- 1/2 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed into small squares
- 1/2 cup red lentils
- 1/2 cup red kidney beans
- 1 tsp bouillon
- oats (how much you need depends on your burger texture, I used approx. 1 1/4 cups)
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- dash of oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- oil for cooking
- Place cubed sweet potato, lentils and bouillon in a pot covered with water and cook until potatoes are tender and lentils are cooked al dente (approximately 10 minutes). When done, drain and place in a bowl.
- Add kidney beans and mash together, leaving some chunks so it’s not completely smooth.
- Add in spices (more or less to taste) and mix together.
- Add in oats and stir well. You want the texture to be firm enough to hold shape, but not dry. I added around 1 1/4 cups of oats, mixing in 1/2 cup at a time.
- Heat a large pan with some oil for cooking, and cook each side for a few minutes, until brown and the patty is warmed through.
I served ours on buns with fresh tomato slices, red onion, avocado and a kale slaw that I made. They were delicious and a great way to get some veggies in. My toddler enjoyed his and he’s a big texture kid, so I was impressed that he ate these. Lentils are high in iron, manganese and fibre, so this is a super healthy and quick option for easy dinners. I’ll have to test them out on my meat loving husband (who always says “this dish is really good… know what would make it better? Chicken/beef/pork.” haha).
Follow along with me:
(Want to save these for later? Pin the image below!)