It’s been a snow filled couple of days in my hometown, so I nested inside our house with M, playing and relaxing… and gorging on these delicious (yet somehow healthy) muffins. I whipped up this recipe on a whim in the afternoon, after spying the box of All Bran that my father in law had left in our pantry. I hate food going to waste, so I thought I would use the cereal to make muffins, because everyone wins when momma makes muffins.
You could easily omit the chocolate chips as well, or substitute fruit instead (strawberries would be delicious!), but I live on the wild side, so chocolate chips it is!
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup + 2 tb sugar
- 1 tb baking powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 cups All Bran cereal (the flaked kind)
- 1 1/4 cups milk (almond, whole, skim – use whatever you have on hand, we had whole milk)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Pre heat oven to 400°
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and chocolate chips. Set aside.
- In another bowl, add bran cereal and pour milk over top. Let stand for 2 minutes for cereal to soften.
- Mix egg with melted coconut oil and beat well (I did this in my glass measuring cup that was used for the milk), then add over top of the cereal mixture, and stir.
- Add to flour mixture and stir until just combined (be careful not to over-mix or muffins won’t be light and fluffy).
- Scoop evenly into 12 lined muffin tin cups and bake for approximately 20 minutes (until tops are lightly browned).
I hope you enjoy these muffins, they were so simple to make and really easy for M to help me with as well. I love including him in the kitchen when I can (he made sure to sample the cereal/milk mixture plenty – oddly enough he loves All Bran lol!). Let me know what you think in the comments below and have a great day!